Hvorfor Gør Vi Det Vi Gør
Daughter saves father
Inga-Britt (14) from Lesja in Norway reacted instantly when her father collapsed across the dinner table from sudden cardiac arrest. First she dialed for an ambulance. Then she instructed her mother to perform CPR on her father. Inga-Britt had just learned the life-saving skills of CPR from a Mini Anne CPR course given at school – and she managed to apply that knowledge to a real life situation that helped save her father’s life!
Inga-Britt has truly shown how the “School Project” campaign, using the Mini Anne Self Directed CPR Learning Program, organized by The Norwegian Air Ambulance has made an impact on daily lives.
Teacher saves student
Kaitlin (20) is alive today because when she suffered cardiac arrest on the school games field 5 years ago, her teacher, Ron Keefe, knew exactly how to respond to the emergency unfolding before him. A textbook example demonstrating the Chain of Survival explicitly, he instructed a classmate to tell the school office to dial 911 and another classmate to fetch the AED while he started CPR on Kaitlin. Following one round of CPR and the swift arrival of the AED - as Ron’s colleague later remarked, “We did the steps we were trained to do - we put it on her, it shocked her and brought her back to life.” Kaitlin survived because the staff at her school had the foresight to prepare for such an emergency.
In a sad twist of fate, Kaitlin’s best friend was to die of sudden cardiac arrest 14 months later at the age of 17. The question still lingers in the community - could her fate have been different? Today, the community is active in promoting CPR and AED awareness. Kaitlin sums up this commitment - “I think everyone should know CPR. You might think you’ll never have to know how to use it, but things happen every day that you don’t expect.”
Mother saves daughter
Dariela (22) survived because her mother knew exactly what to do when she found Dariela unconscious next to the polishing machine, in the family’s shoemaker workshop. The machine was still running and Daniela's scarf was caught in it. ''I know that every second counts,'' says Katica Dokic. She realized her daughter was not breathing, but there was a weak pulse. She quickly managed to release Dariela’s throat, tear the scarf, put her daughter carefully down onto the floor and start mouth-to-mouth ventilations and heart com-pressions. A customer came in, and Katica cried ''Call! Call!''
''A million thoughts rushed through my mind, but I managed to stay calm until the ambulance arrived,'' says the mother, who had learned CPR at school back in Croatia some 30 years earlier. ENT specialist Jan Magnus Fredheim stresses that ''with suffocation it is absolutely crucial to restore the airway passage and provide oxygen as quickly as possible.''
Grateful for being able to save her own daughter’s life, Katica would now like to see that lifesaving is integrated with the curriculum for students at the middle and comprehensive level, as these children are right at the brink of the age where many of them will encounter accident situations.
Mother saves baby son
David (2) from Brighton, East Sussex was saved by his mother Debra White when he developed convulsions and stopped breathing at eleven months. Ms. White had learned CPR at a British Heart Foundation course and that knowledge saved her baby son's life.