The AHA’s PEARS Course has been updated to reflect new science in the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC. This classroom, Instructor-led, video-based course teaches healthcare providers caring for pediatric patients the foundational skills needed to assess, recognize, and participate in the initial management of respiratory and/or cardiovascular emergencies and cardiopulmonary arrest. During the course, case-based instruction will be used to teach students to provide appropriate lifesaving interventions within the initial minutes of response until the child is transferred to an advanced life support provider.
The goal of the PEARS Provider Course is to improve outcomes for pediatric patients by preparing healthcare providers in assessment, early recognition, prompt communication, and initial intervention in patients with respiratory emergencies, shock, and cardiopulmonary arrest by using high-performance team dynamics.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to
· Perform BLS consistent with the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC)
· Evaluate a seriously ill or injured child by using the pediatric systematic approach
· Apply effective team dynamics
· Demonstrate initial stabilization of a seriously ill or injured child, including a child with cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, or shock
Students who successfully complete the PEARS Course (including achieving a score of 84% or higher on the course exam) will receive a PEARS Provider course completion card (print or eCard), valid for two years.
The PEARS Instructor Package includes all tools needed for PALS and PEARS Instructors to teach the PEARS Course. The following items are included in this convenient package:
· PEARS Instructor Manual (product 15-1054; includes manual, Lesson Plans, PEARS Instructor CD, PEARS Case Scenarios, and divider tabs)
· PEARS Provider Manual (product 15-1052; includes manual, PEARS Pocket Reference Card, and tab sheet)
· 1 PEARS DVD Set (product 15-1055)
· PEARS Poster Set (product 15-1056; set of 9 posters, folded)
The PEARS Instructor Package is packaged in a corrugated cardboard box.
The PEARS Instructor Package is for use by PALS and PEARS Instructors teaching the PEARS Course.
The AHA’s PEARS Course is for healthcare providers and others who might encounter pediatric emergency situations during their work, including:
· Physicians and nurses not specializing in pediatrics
· Nurse practitioners
· Physician assistants
· Emergency medical technicians
· Respiratory therapists
· Prehospital and in-hospital healthcare providers (outside of critical-care areas)
· Outpatient clinic staff
· School-based providers
Continuing Education (CE) Information:
Continuing Education Accreditation – Emergency Medical Services
This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 7.25 Advanced CEHs, activity number 17-AMHA-F2-0024.
Replaces old part #90-1066