This Instructor-led classroom course is designed to prepare students to provide pediatric first aid, CPR, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course completion card (print or eCard), valid for two years.
Successful students should be able to:
- Recognize: elements of common injuries; elements of common illnesses; the legal questions that apply to pediatric first aid rescuers; when someone needs CPR
- Describe: the four key steps in first aid for children and infants (prevent, protect, assess, and act); the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock; how to find information on preventing illness and injury; how high-quality CPR improves survival; when and how to help a choking adult or child; how to perform CPR with help from others; the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of a rescuer providing first aid to a child or infant
- Perform: high-quality CPR for an adult*; high-quality CPR for a child; high-quality CPR for an infant
- Demonstrate: how to use an AED on an adult*; how to use an AED on a child; how to help a choking infant
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Remove protective gloves (skilled student will demonstrate)
- Find the problem (skilled student will demonstrate)
- Control bleeding and bandaging (skilled student will demonstrate)
- Use an epinephrine pen (skilled student will demonstrate)
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
The Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook is designed for use by a single user and as a student reference tool before, during, and after the course. Package contains 6 student workbooks.
Following are the specifications for 1 Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook:
- 8.375" x 10.875" manual
- Includes 200 pages of full-color images and text
- Contained within a full-color soft cover
- Includes one 4" x 6.5" 4-panel Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid Quick Reference Guide (also sold separately as AHA product #15-1040)
- Includes one 2.875" x 3.75" 7-panel Adult CPR AED Reminder Card
- Includes one 2.875" x 3.75" 8-panel Child and Infant CPR AED Reminder Card
- Perfect bound
Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Course is intended for those involved in childcare who have a duty to respond to illnesses and injuries in a child or infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives.