This Instructor-led classroom course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid, CPR, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card (print or eCard), valid for two years.
Successful students should be able to:
- Recognize: elements of common injuries and illnesses; the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers; when someone needs CPR
- Describe: the key steps in first aid; the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke; how to find information on preventing illness and injury; how high-quality CPR improves survival; how to use an AED on a child*; how to use an AED on an infant*; when and how to help a choking adult or child; the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- Perform: high-quality CPR for an adult; as a team member during multi-rescuer CPR; high-quality CPR for a child*; high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Demonstrate: how to use an AED on an adult; how to help a choking infant*
- Give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Remove protective gloves
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Control bleeding and bandaging
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
*Child and infant modules are optional.
The Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook is for use by a single user as a student reference tool
before, during, and after the course. Package contains 6 student workbooks.
Following are the specifications for 1 Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook:
- 8.375" x 10.875" manual
- Includes 144 pages of full-color images and text
- Perfect bound within a full-color soft cover
- Includes one 4" x 6.5" 5-panel Heartsaver First Aid Quick Reference Guide (also sold separately; AHA product #15-1022)
- Includes one 2.875" x 3.75" 7-panel Adult CPR AED Reminder Card
- Includes one 2.875" x 3.75" 8-panel Child and Infant CPR AED Reminder Card
Heartsaver courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course
completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by
anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.