License products are non-returnable/non-refundable items. All sales are final.
BLS is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. The AHA’s BLS Course has been updated to reflect new science in the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (2015 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC). This course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings.
After successfully completing the BLS Course, students should be able to:
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe all of the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children and infants
- Describe the importance of early use of an AED and demonstrate its use
- Provide effective ventilations by using a barrier device
- Describe the importance of team dynamics in multirescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team
member during multirescuer CPR
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants
HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s blended learning delivery method for the BLS Course. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning (online portion), in which a student completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on session.
HeartCode BLS is the online portion of BLS blended learning. It uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills. After completing the online portion, students will attend a structured Instructor-led course that focuses on meaningful skills practice, debriefing, team scenarios, discussions of local protocols and skills testing. Where available, students may also complete the hands-on portion with a voice-assisted manikin (VAM).
- Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks; student chooses his/her track before starting HeartCode BLS modules
- Includes 10 modules, 5 eSimulations and two video tutorials
- eSimulation cases include
o Two adult two-rescuer BLS cases
o One child one-rescuer BLS case
o One infant two-rescuer BLS case
o One infant one-rescuer BLS case
- Summary of critical concepts provided for each eSimulation case
- Virtual debriefings provided immediately after each eSimulation, with hyperlinks to the referenced section
of the BLS Provider Manual
- Includes downloadable resources:
o BLS Reference Card
o Team Diagram
o Summary of High-Quality CPR Components
o Skills Testing Checklists
o AHA Chains of Survival
- Provides online access to the BLS Provider Manual
- Multiple choice, 25-question exam to test cognitive knowledge
- Certificate of completion available to print after HeartCode BLS modules and simulations, exam, and
course evaluation have been completed successfully
- Students may access all information included in HeartCode BLS for 24 months (two years) following activation of course
The AHA’s BLS Course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in-facility and prehospital settings.
HeartCode BLS is for healthcare professionals and others seeking an alternative delivery method for completing BLS training.
Continuing Education Information:
Learn more about details on Continuing Education for this course.