The AHA's Heartsaver First Aid and CPR AED courses have been updated to reflect new science in the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care and the 2015 American Heart Association and American Red Cross Update for First Aid.
Heartsaver courses are designed to prepare students to provide first aid, CPR, and automated external defibrillator (AED) use in a safe, timely, and effective manner. These courses are designed to be flexible and customizable with optional modules.
At the end of the Heartsaver CPR AED Course, students will be able to:
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Describe how to use an AED on an infant*
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*
*Child and infant modules are optional.
At the end of the Heartsaver First Aid Course, students will be able to
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers
- Describe the key steps in first aid
- Remove protective gloves
- Find the problem
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Control bleeding and bandaging
- Recognize elements of common injuries
- Recognize elements of common illnesses
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
The Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED DVD Set is to be used by AHA BLS and Heartsaver Instructors to teach the DVD-driven Heartsaver First Aid, Heartsaver CPR AED, and Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED courses. The Heartsaver DVD navigation and menu options have been designed to support the various Heartsaver Portfolio course formats, including Instructor-led and blended learning courses.
The Heartsaver DVDs include home menu options that allow the Instructor to easily choose which Heartsaver courses they are teaching, playing each one independently for a variety of course combinations. The DVD set also includes tailored DVD course tracks that incorporate skills, such as choking and an introduction to CPR, if, for example, the Instructor is only teaching the Heartsaver First Aid Course.
- Two-disc set:
- Disc one = CPR AED: run time = 106 minutes
- Life is Why
- Adult CPR AED
- Child CPR AED
- Infant CPR
- Course Conclusion
- Skills Practice Menu
- Lessons Menu
- Disc two = First Aid: run time = 119 minutes
- Life is Why
- First Aid Topics (First Aid Basics: Duties and Key Steps, Medical Emergencies, Injury Emergencies, Environmental Emergencies, Preventing Illness and Injury: Legal Questions, Course Conclusion)
- Skills Review Menu
- Lessons Menu
- Packaged in a double Amaray case
- Shrink wrapped
Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
Replaces product #90-2311US